Forums

Forum Home > Discoveries & Corrections > Discoveries & Corrections - Section 8

steve j

1. Russell M Lay - 1934 St. L, Cin, Det - attended Michigan State - He was born in Williamston, MI, on 01/22/11, and died there on 09/27/65. Information obtained from Michigan State Alumni Office. He did not die in Wauwatosa, WI, and the person listed on many sites, who was born in 1907, and died in Wauwatosa in 1971, is Russell C Lay, and was not the player.

August 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

2. There is a listing on most websites for a Lawrence W Jackson, 1926 Louisville, attended Loyola U (Chicago), b in Bureau County, IL, in 1904, and d there in 1983.  That person's name is Lawrence D Jackson, and on the 1940 census, his highest education level was 2 years of HS.  He is not the player.  I noticed that Lake Forest College (IL) had a player named Lee W Jackson, who was a 4-year letterman who graduated in 1924, and is a member of their HOF. I had never seen anything verifying that the player's name was Lawrene or Larry. The only reference I ever found was an article in a 1935 Louisville newspaper with a team roster listing him as LW Jackson.  

An additional item of interest was that one of his teammates on Louisville was Gar Leaf, Lee Jackson's teammate at Lake Forest. I tracked down Jackson's daughter, who confirmed that he had played on a traveling pro team out of Chicago.  She also mentioned him taking her to see a movie about Jim Thorpe, and telling her that he had played against Thorpe. Louisville's first game was against Thorpe's Canton Bulldogs. Here is his data:

LEE WILMS JACKSON - 1926  Lou - attended Deerfield-Shields HS (Deerfield, IL ), Lake Forest College. He was born 02/26/02 in Decatur, IL, and died in Lake Forest 09/30/60.

August 11, 2016 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

3. On the 1926 Louisville team, there is a listing for Gerry Sherry, with no other data, except that he played 1 game. The only plausible person I ever found was a Jerome Sherry, whose family I contacted several years ago, and who denied any possibility of him playing any kind of football. In the 1935 article containing the 1926 Louisville roster, he is listed only as G Sherry. When I was researching Lee Jackson, the Lake Forest player who played for the Colonels, I noticed a player  named George Sherry, who had played high school ball in Salina, Kansas, and for Lake Forest at the same time as Garfield Leaf and Lee Jackson.  Since those 2 teammates of Sherry played for Louisville, and since Gerry Sherry has remained a mystery for 90 years, I believe George Sherry is the player. I am trying to locate family members, so far with no success, but even without their corroboration, I see no reason not to list him.

GEORGE PARKER SHERRY - 1926 Lou - attended Salina (KS) HS, Lake Forest College. He was born 11/03/04 in Arkansas, and died 09/27/69 in Fort Worth, TX.

August 12, 2016 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

4. JOHN 'HOOKS' COMER -- 1926 Canton - He was born in Ohio, 06/10/00, and died in Toronto,, Ohio, on 06/29/50. He was police chief of Toronto at the time of his death. Obituary is in the Lima (OH) Daily News, 06//29/50. Person who died in Florida in 1959 is not the player.

August 22, 2016 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

5. CHARLES CALVIN 'CAL' CLEMENS - 1936 GB - attended USC - He was born 07/26/11 in NE, and died in Los Angeles, 10/21/65. Obit mentioning playing career is in the LA Times, 10/23/65. Person listed on many sites, who died in 1966, is not the player.

August 29, 2016 at 6:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

6. THOMAS JAMES 'TOMMY' FALLON -1922 Milw - attended Rye (NY) HS, and Fordham University, where he was the 2nd 3-letter man in the school's history, the first being BB HOF member Frankie Frisch. He played semi-pro basketball after college, and was a close friend of writer and newspaper columnist Ed Sullivan, who later achieved fame as a TV show host. Fallon died under mysterious circumstances in a fall from a hotel-room window. He was born in NY, 01/ /1899, and died in Seattle, 06/13/29. Death notice in Pittsburgh Press, 06/14/29. All sites list the Milwaukee player as Mickey Fallon, who had broken his kneecap in a game against Holy Cross in 1921, and never played football again. A 1922 Milwaukee box score listed the player as ''Fallon, Fordham'. His time with Milwaukee was corroborated by his nephew, who provided many other details.

August 31, 2016 at 6:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

7. LAWRENCE ANTHONY CRONIN - 1927 Duluth - attended St. Mary's U (MN) - He was born in Lake City, MN, 06/13/05, and died in Cannon Falls, MN, on 12/31/68. I ran across an article in a 1927 newspaper, mentioning two St. Mary's graduates - William McNelis and Lawrence Cronin - who were currently playing with Ernie Nevers' Duluth team. St. Mary's Alumni Office verified his graduation, and I was able to locate his daughter, who verified that he played football, and corroborated the birth and death data. He is listed as Fritz Cronin on some fb sites, but his daughter said she never heard him referred to by that name.

September 10, 2016 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

8. ARTHUR EDWARD 'ART' ENGSTROM - 1924 Duluth - attended Valparaiso (IN) Prep, Bucknell U., University of Chicago - He was born in Duluth on 08/23/1898 and died there on 04/10/53. Information was provided by his son.

September 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

9. I was just made aware by Tod Maher that the player listed as Johnny Scott, who played for Buffalo in the early 1920's, is not Ian Grant Scott, whom we have listed, but a separate player who also played at Lafayette in the period before Ian played there.

I was able track down the information for the correct Johnny Scott, which is as follows:

9. JOHN SANDERS 'JOHNNY' SCOTT - 1920-23 Buffalo, 1926 Phila (AFL I) - attended Lafayette College. He was born 04/29/1895 in PA, and died in Reno, NV, 07/01/61. Obit is in Philadelphia Inquirer, 07/06/61, and mentions his FB career. His birth date on the Nevada death record is not even close to those found on his military records, but I believe the above date is correct.

Thank you.

October 5, 2016 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

10. There is a listing on all sites for a 1935 Philadelphia Eagles' player named Thomas Graham, who was born in 1909 and died in 1961, and attended Temple University. That person was born in Northern Ireland, and did not come to the USA until late 1929. There is no way this person played 3 years of varsity football and baseball at Temple starting in 1931. I finally found a couple articles in the Philadelphia Inquirer from 1946 and 1949 which mentioned that the Tom Graham who had played for Temple was now a guard at Graterford Prison. I was able to get his data from military records.

THOMAS H. GRAHAM - 1935 Phi - attended Temple U. - He was born 10/16/10 in Oak Lane, Pa, and died 06/08/2002 in Hewett, NJ.

Thank you.

October 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

11. WILLIAM WILSON 'WILD BILL' DONOHOE -1927 Frankford - attended Carnegie-Mellon - He was born 04/01/04 in Carnegie, PA, and died 10/09/72 in CA. No obit was found, but CA Death Index data matches draft card.

12. PAUL AGUSTUS 'GUS' KING - 1922 Toledo -attended Centre College - He was born 09/28/1896 in Reno, TX, and died in Humboldt, TN, on 10/17/57. Data from Tennessee death certificate.

Thank you.

November 14, 2016 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

13. All websites list John A Rowan for 1923 Louisville, attended U of Tennessee, died in Belpre, OH, in 1967. I had never been able to find any FB connection for that person. Newspapers from 1923 in Indianapolis and Louisville list Rowan as having been a star on the Camp Pike, AR, service team. I was able to find information on Ancestry.com, on the Rowan who played for Camp Pike.

JOHN AIKEN ROWAN - 1923 Lou - He was born 07/19/1896 in Cartersville, GA, and died 02/20/78, in Karnes City, TX.

Thank you.

December 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

14. MAURICE ERNEST SEGEL - 1925 Cle - attended Alliance (OH) HS, He was born in England, on 09/14/00, and died in CA, on 04/19/82. He used 3 different spellings of his last name, and various combinations of his first and middle names. He is actually listed twice on the California Death Index - once as Ernest Maurice Segel, and once as Maurice Seagel. All data on the 2 records is identical (including SSN), except for the different spellings.

I had contacted his daughter, who verified that he was born in England, did play pro ball after attending Alliance HS, but had abandoned the family shortly after her birth, and she had no further knowledge of him. I was able to verify that this was the right person by a comparison of the entry and discharge dates on the military record of the person who died in CA, with the dates on the record of the guy from Alliance on the listing of Ohio Soldiers in WW1 on Ancestry.com.

Thank you.

December 28, 2016 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

15. FLOYD LAVERNE PIERCE - 1920 ChiT - attended Ypsilanti (MI) HS, U of Michigan, Ypsilanti Normal (now Eastern MI), Adrian College - He was born in Ypsilanti on 03/02/1892, and died in CA, on 06/01/54. This is the person who is listed as Richard Pierce on all websites. There was no one named Richard Pierce who played for Michigan in that era, plus the person listed was an African-American who had no connection to football.

Floyd Pierce (who changed his first name to Floyde) is mentioned in several articles in the 1913 and 1914 Detroit Free Press as having played on the U of Michigan freshman team, and Ypsilanti Normal. He was captain of the Mack Park Maroons, a prominent local team which also included future NFL players Gil Runkel and Ty Krentler. He played with the Canton Bulldogs in 1919, before joining the Tigers in 1920. Later in life, he moved to California, and became prominent in the dog-breeding world. An article in the San Antonio Express of 03/23/52 mentions him as being a former U of Michigan lineman.

Thank you.

December 29, 2016 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.