Oldest Living Pro Football Players

Pro Football's Online Encyclopedia

Forums

Forum Home > Discoveries & Corrections > New Discoveries, Section 2

steve j

I am beginning a new section for this data, to make it easier to access new names being added, rather than page through the first 30.

April 27, 2015 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #11

31. VERYL HENRY 'BEANIE' EBERT - 1924 Minn - attended Carleton College (MN). He was born 05/14/02 in Alden, MN, and died 03/24/80 in Greenwich, CT.  He is often mistakenly listed as 'Bernie Eberts', a long-time FB referee whom I had written to while he was alive. He verified that he had never played pro football. There is a picture of Veryl Ebert in his FB uniform in the online Carleton College archives. Birth and death data came from Ancestry.com.

32. IRWIN McDOWELL 'TINY' TURNER - 1920 Day  - attended Ohio State U. He was born 04/06/1895 in Columbus, OH, and died 10/19/65 in Meigs, OH. He is listed in various places as John 'Tiny' Turner, but Ohio State yearbooks list him as Irwin, with a nickname of 'Tiny', so unless there were 2 players in Ohio using the name 'Tiny' Turner at the same time, I believe this is the player.

33. GEORGE BRYAN THOMPSON - 1922 Roch - attended Syracuse U. He was born 12/24/1897 in NYC, and died in Northville, NY, 10/26/61.  He used the name Bryan (not Bryant) or G. Bryan. The Syracuse team on which he played sent 9 (possibly 10) other players to the NFL. Birth and death data came from a family member. He is listed with the nickname 'Tiny' but I never saw him referred to by that name in any articles or yearbooks.

Thank you.

April 27, 2015 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #12

34.  FRANCIS XAVIER 'FRANK' RYDZEWSKI - 1920-26 Cleve, ChiT, ChiC, ChiiB, Ham, Mil - attended Notre Dame U. He was born 11/16/1892 in Chicago, died 10/16/79 in IL. There are discrepancies in his birth date, so I used the one most widely accepted.

35. There were 2 players named Turner on 1921 Washington. One was nicknamed 'Bumps' and the other 'Buff'. Both names are listed in the same box score a couple times, so there were definitely 2 different players.  Their real names were supposed to have been Milton and Samuel, but there seems to be some confusion as to which nickname went with which real name.  I have seen several references to Milton 'Bumps' Turner, a professional wrestler who had played college football.  His obit in the Washington Post of 04/04/56, mentions that he died the previous night on his 69th birthday.  Here is his data:

MILTON BERNARD 'BUMPS' TURNER - 1921 Wash - He was born 04/03/1887 in Prince George Cty, MD, and died 04/03/56 in Washington, DC. 

As for Buff Turner, I don't know if his real name was Sam, but i doubt that the person listed on most websites would be the right one, since he was a 19-year-old from Richardson, TX, but since I don't have any further information on who the real player was, I'm withholding my judgment.

Thank you.

May 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tod Maher

Well, I have two 1930 Frankford-Portsmouth program rosters that says Weaver's college is Chicago (Charles Weaver's college).

May 7, 2015 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Tod Maher at May 7, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Well, I have two 1930 Frankford-Portsmouth program rosters that says Weaver's college is Chicago (Charles Weaver's college).

Tod,

Thanks a lot for the information. That definitely confuses things a bit. The program I had used as a source was for a  game between Portsmouth and Ironton in 1929, prior to Portsmouth's entry into the NFL..  There were small pictures of the players, and the write-up on Weaver just said Ralph 'Buck' Weaver, Indiana U, 1926-28.  I also saw several newspaper articles between 1935 and 1945 regarding his wrestling career, which mentioned his football background, including both Indiana and Portsmouth. It's possible that Portsmouth had two different Buck Weavers, one in 1929 and one in 1930. According to the Encyclopedia, in 1930, Weaver played 6 games for Portsmouth and 4 for Chicago .It would be helpful to know whether the time frame for his games with one team overlapped his games with the other, which would indicate 2 different players, or whether one set of games followed the other, which would support the case for just being one player. If you come up with anything further, I'd appreciate being informed. Thanks again.

Steve J

May 8, 2015 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tod Maher

Weaver played for the Cards through Oct. 16.  His first game with Portsmouth is Nov. 5th.

May 8, 2015 at 2:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

In spite of what I thought was strong evidence to the contrary, Ralph 'Buck' Weaver, who had been listed above, did not play for the 1930 Portsmouth Spartans, and is being removed from the 1956 Necrology List.  He did play for Portsmouth in 1929, as evidenced by a 1929 program listing him, and there were several articles from his post-football career as a pro wrestler, which referred to his football career, in college with Indiana, and in the professional ranks with the Portsmouth Spartans.  This was accurate as far as it went, but it was never mentioned that the Spartans did not join the NFL until the year after he played for them.  Many of the 1929 players continued with the team in 1930, but Ralph Weaver was not among them. Charles ' Buck' Weaver from the U of Chicago started the 1930 season with the Cardinals, and was evidently released by them, and signed by Portsmouth in November. He is the one who played for both teams that year.  I apologize for the mis-information, and would like to thank Tod Maher for providing information that caused me to further examine Weaver's case.

Thank you.

Steve J

--
May 16, 2015 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #13

36.  MARVIN ELZIE 'MARV' JACOBS  -  1948 ChiC  -  attended Ellensburg (WA) HS - He was born 08/01/24 in Washington, and died 11/22/65 in Seattle. SSDI has a 1924 date of birth, other sources have 1925.

37. There is a listing on the 1921 Rochester roster for Earl Ettenhaus.  I have never found anyone anywhere with that name.  However, there was a Carl Ettingshaus, born in 1901, who lived in Rochester in 1921.  I was able to contact his oldest living relative, but she had no idea whether he played football, and said there were no other family members. There does not seem to be any other reasonable choice, so unless someone was using an assumed name, this is the right person.

CARL GEORGE ETTINGSHAUS - 1921 Roch - attended Perryton HS (Perry, NY). He was born 12/30/01 in Perry, NY, and died 09/13/57 in Fort Lauderdale, FL.  Obit was in the Perry Herald, 09/19/57.

38. There is a listing on the 1925 Frankford roster for Frank F Wilsbach, from Harrisburg, PA, who played for Bucknell.  While trying to confirm his dates, I discovered that there were 2 Wilsbach brothers who played at Harrisburg Tech and at Bucknell - Frank and Tony.  I never located anything to connect Frank to the NFL, but I found an article in the Harrisburg Telegraph of 08/23/40, detailing the career of Anthony Wilsbach, who had become a high school coach and official.  It mentioned him having played for minor league teams in Gilberton, PA, and Atlantic City, and having been a member of the Frankford Yellowjackets in 1925. Considering that this article was in his hometown paper only 15 years after his playing time, I would think that it was accurate. Therefore, I think that Tony Wilsbach should replace his brother Frank on the roster. Here is his data:

ANTHONY KARL 'TONY' WILSBACH - 1925 Frankford - attended Harrisburg Tech, Bucknell U.  He was born 02/28/00 in Steelton, PA, and died 01/15/62 in Harrisburg.  Death data came from Bucknell Alumni Bulletin.

Thank you.

May 26, 2015 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tod Maher

Went throught the Perry (NY) newspaper.  Absolutely no mention of Carl Ettingshaus playing football.

May 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Tod Maher at May 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Went throught the Perry (NY) newspaper.  Absolutely no mention of Carl Ettingshaus playing football.

I am aware of this, as I had requested that a librarian check this for me a few years ago, and she found nothing.  However, Earl Ettenhaus, who is the person who has been listed on the Rochester roster for years, never existed.  Therefore, I believe there are 2 possible answers. First, someone may have been playing under an assumed name, but that seems like an unusual name to pick. Secondly, I know Carl Ettingshaus was a 19-year-old from a prominent family in Perry, who was living in Rochester in the early 1920's. I do not know if he had any athletic ability, but if he had managed to play one game with a pro team, considering the poor reputation of pro football at the time, it would not be surprising if this was not something he would have publicized in his hometown.   If someone with a real name anywhere similar to Earl Ettenhaus actually played for the Jeffersons, then Carl Ettingshaus is the only reasonable possibility. Thank you.

Steve J

May 28, 2015 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #14

39.  DANIEL EDMUND 'ED' HOOLEY - 1924 Minn - attended U of Detroit. He was born 04/20/02 in Stillwater, MN, and died 12/27/50 in MN.  He is omitted from the Minneapolis roster on many websites, but articles in some 1924 newspapers mention Hooley, a center from Detroit, as a player on the Minneapolis NFL team.  A Detroit U program listed his home as Stillwater, and rest of data comes from Minnesota Death Index.  He possibly was ignored, because of the similarity of his name to Bill Houle who also played with Minneapolis at the time, but both names appear together in at least one boxscore, so they were definitely 2 different players.

40. EVAN ARTHUR THOMAS - 1925 Prov - attended Macalester College. He was born 04/14/1899 in Sherburne, MN, and died 10/31/58 in E. Providence, RI.  (Birth year listed as 1900 on some records).  This player was listed in the old Treat Encyclopedia with no first name, and is currently listed on some websites as Gene Thomas, with no background data, or his 1925 record is attributed to John Thomas, a 1924 Racine player.  John Thomas was a full-time FB coach in the Midwest in 1925, so he would not have been playing in 1 game for Providence that year.  Evan Thomas has an obit in the NY Times of 11/01/58, mentioning his playing with Providence, Additionally, The Sporting News of 11/12/58 also has an    obit, because Thomas was a former minor league catcher, mentioning his FB career with Providence.

41.  All websites have a listing for a 1925 Columbus player named Jim Regan, from Still College. Still College newsletters of 1924 mention Jim Regan being the star of a few games, but there is no other record of a Jim Regan at the school.  However, there were references to a Fritz Regan, from Lancaster, Ohio. I located some articles from Lancaster, mentioning Francis 'Fritz' Regan as the star of their high school  FB team.  I was able to track down the 83-year-old son of Fritz Regan, who confirmed that his father had definitely gone to Still College, and played football there. Here is his data:

FRANCIS JOSEPH 'FRITZ' REGAN - 1925 Columbus - attended Lancaster (OH) HS, Still College.  He was born 11/08/03 in Wallace, WV, and died 06/29/65, in Manila, Philippines.

Thank you

May 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #15

42.  LESLIE LYLE 'LES' MAYNARD - 1932 Staten Island - attended Commerce HS (Springfield, MA), Rider College, played on Coast Guard FB team.  He was born 01/30/11 in Torrington, CT, died  11/30/52 in Newington, CT.  A Springfield newspaper from 1957 mentioned that Les Maynard, who had played for Commerce and then went into the pros, had died in a VA hospital in CT several years back.

43.  JOHN M WARD - 1930 Frankford, Minneapolis - attended Garden Grove (CA) HS, USC. He was born 03/08/07 in Westminster, CA, died 12/29/68 in Orange County, CA. He was a football and track coach at Santa Ana College, and was inducted into their HOF in 1989.

44. JOHN LEE WHITE - 1960-61 Houston - attended Texas Southern U. He was born 10/09/35 and died 10/14/88.  He and Ernie Ladd started a program called P.U.L.L to help inner-city youth in Houston.

45.  This is a new one I just found over the weekend.  There is a listing for a John Depner, 1929 Dayton, born in PA in 1907, died in KY in 1978.  I was never able to find anything connecting this person to Dayton or football in general.  I was searching for  information on a player who attended Steele HS in Dayton, and ran across  Joe Deppner, a 3-sport star at Steele in the 1920's, who later played one year at Colgate. I was able to track down his daughter-in-law, and she verified that he had played for the Dayton Triangles. Here is his data:

JOSEPH EDWARD 'JOE' DEPPNER - 1929 Dayton - attended Steele HS, Colgate U. He was born 06/27/06 in Dayton, and died 01/20/84 in Marathon, FL.

Thank you.

June 8, 2015 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #16

46. JOHN HENRY ASHBAUGH  -  1924 Rock Island - attended St. Thomas College (MN).  He was born 10/04/1897 in Eau Claire, WI, and died 08/20/60 in Eau Claire. A veterans' tribute publication in the Chippewa Valley (WI) had an article about John Ashbaugh Jr., which mentioned his father playing for Rock Island in the 1920's.  Also, a Davenport newspaper from 1924 mentioned that RI had signed a back from St. Thomas named John Ashbaugh.

47.  ALLAN JOSEPH MACDONELL - 1923-24 Duluth.  He was born 03/15/1896 in Duluth, and  died 12/25/80 in Hemet, CA.  He is listed as MacDonald in most places, but newspaper articles from the 1920's list him as the brother of John 'Mickey' MacDonell, who played several years in the pros. Census records corroborate this data.  There seems to be some confusion as to which brother played in 1923, but Allan seems like the more logical choice.  If anyone has a definite answer, let  me know.

48. LELAND DOUGLAS 'DAGO' LA ROS  -  1920-21 Chicago Cardinals - He was born 03/30/1892 in Easton, PA, and died 06/06/23 in Chicago.  This is the person who is listed on all websites as Paul Larosa.  This person's name is spelled various ways, but his draft card and his obit have La Ros. The last line of his obit  in the Chicago Tribune of 06/07/23 mentions that he was a member of the Racine Cardinals FB Team, so this is definitely the right person.  His death resulted from a fall from a roof on which he was working.  He was the brother of Harry 'Spike' La Ross of the 1914 Cincinnati Reds BB Team.

Thank you.

June 19, 2015 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j
July 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #17

49. EDWARD THOMAS MIODUSZEWSKI (EDDY MEADOWS)  -1953  Bal - attended Wm & Mary University.  He was born 10/28/31 in Cliffside Park, NJ, and died 09/08/2010 in Spring Valley, CA.  He changed him name to Meadows after his playing career was over.

50. SAMUEL BIG BEAR - 1922 Oorang - attended Carlisle Indian School, where he played football and ran track in the early teens.  He was born 12/25/1889 in Winnebago, NE, and died there on 12/21/59.  Birth and death information was received from his grand-niece who went to tribal headquarters to obtain the information for me. 

Thank you

July 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tod Maher

Re: Kelly

There are two problems with this identification.  1) I have a Detroit letterwinners list that lists a "Kelly, J." lettering in 1917. 2) The Detroit Free Press (10/10/1920): "...Jimmy Kelly, the "flying bullet" of the U. of D...."

July 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

My listing of Gerald Kelly as the player who is listed as Jimmy Kelly of the 1920 Detroit Heralds was questioned. I definitely appreciate feedback on any data that I list, because my main goal is to be sure that the person who actually played is the person who is credited.  I went back to my research on Kelly, and according to all websites, he was listed as having attended Detroit University, St. Louis University,  and playing with the Heralds in 1920.  The only Kelly who attended both of those colleges at that time was Gerald, but his playing time with the Heralds evidently ended in the mid-teens.  By an extreme bit of luck, I was able to locate a close relative of the Jimmy Kelly who did play with the  Heralds in 1920. This person gave me the basic data on Jimmy's life, from which point I was able to fill in tthe rest from draft records, censuses, SSDI, etc. It was also mentioned that he had never had any connection to St. Louis U. Here is the data on the right Jimmy Kelly:

JAMES PATRICK 'JIMMY' KELLY  -  1920 Det.  - attended U of Detroit. He was born 11/09/1892 in Punxsutawney, PA, and died iin Detroit in 08/  /64.  He opened a restaurant and bar after his playing career, which he and his wife ran until Jimmy's death.

Thanks to Tod Maher for calling the error to my attention.

July 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #18

52.  RAMON VERE LOWE - 1923 Rock Island - attended Hutchinson (KS) HS, U of Dubuque - He was born 10/10/1897 in Kansas, and died 03/07/51 in Pasadena, CA.  Vere is his middle name (not a nickname), and the name under which he played.  Obit is in  Hutchinson newspaper of 03/13/51.  Person named Walter Lowe who played at Georgetown and is listed as the RI player on most websites is not the correct person.  A 09/30/1923 Dubuque newspaper mentions 3 former Dubuque players currently with RI - Sol Butler, John Armstrong, and RV Lowe.

53.  GUY TWING SEEDS - 1926 Canton - attended Salem (OH) HS, Iowa St U. He was born 02/02/01 in Salem, OH, and died there on 07/24/52. Obit in Massillon Evening Independent, 07/25/52. The Canton Repository of 09/28/58 mentions him playing for the Canton Bulldogs. This was corroborated by a call to a family member.  His actual middle name was Twing, which is the name he played under.  Frank Slippery Seeds from PA was not the player.

54.  ROBERT LEE 'BOB' HUNTER - 1925 ,1926 Hammond.- attended Iowa State U. He was born 09/04/1898 in Mapleton, IA, and died in Chicago on 07/28/1997.  Obit in Chi Tribune of 07/31/97 mentions that he played  pro football  in 1925 and 1926 (although listing his team erroneously as the Chi Cards instead of Hammond). Merle Hunter, the 19-year old from Ossian, IN, who is listed on all websites, was not the player.

Thank you.

July 7, 2015 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Group #19

55. SILAS MORGAN 'S M, PAT' HARRISON  -  1937 Bkn, 1936-37 AFL (Bkn, Roch, Cin) - attended Thomasville (AL) HS , Howard (Samford) U - He was born 11/21/11 in Tallahatta Springs, AL, and died there 04/17/96.  I obtained his data in a rather unusual way.  I was in Mobile in 2014 for a function related to my wife's family, and when I was introduced to a person from Thomasville, I mentioned that I was trying to get information on a pro player from there.  The person  immediately said that he had known S M Harrison personally, and would be happy to get me the data.  No one seemed to know about the nickname Pat, but this has to be the player, since the dates and places match, and he definitely went to Samford.

56. PLEASANT L. 'P L ' ZIMMERMAN  -  1927-29 Dayton. - attended Steele HS (Dayton, OH), Purdue University.  He was born 09/23/01 in Center, OH, and died in Dayton, 08/14/67.  He is listed on the Purdue Athletic website as an alumnus who played pro ball.  I have also seen a NFL program which listed the player for Dayton as having attended Purdue.  The player who is listed on all websites, Corol (Corl, Carl)Zimmerman from Mt Union College was a full-time high school coach in Akron from 1926 until at least 1934.  Considering that Akron is about 200 miles from Dayton, even without the evidence in support of P L Zimmerman, it's extremely unlikely that a full-time coach in Akron would have been playing regularly in Dayton.

57.  I recently noticed a listing on a website for Arthur Schimmel, 1925 Rock Island, with no other background data listed.  I was able to find an obit for Albert Schimmel, which mentioned that he had been a blocking back for Jim Thorpe at Rock Island.  I believe this has to be the player.

ALBERT WALTER SCHIMMEL - 1925 RI - attended Marietta College. He was born 07/16/1890 in Lowell, OH, and died 10/28/85 in Pittsfield, IL.His obit can be found on a website called Pike County (IL) Genealogical trails.

Thank you.

July 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.