Oldest Living Pro Football Players

Pro Football's Online Encyclopedia

Forums

Forum Home > Discoveries & Corrections > Discoveries and Corrections - Section 9

LJP

Re: GREENWOOD

Glenn Jackson Greenwood's WWII draft card states he was 6'1". The NFL lists the Greenwood that played for the Bears and Colonels as 5'10".

November 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Stumbled upon a Harry Greenwood who was residing in Chicago on the available census records. The 1940 census indicates that he attended college for 3 years.

Not much else to go on, or to link him to the Bears and Colonels, but digging around on Ancestry.com I came across a detailed family tree for Harry Greenwood. Born 17-Jan-1901 in Chicago, he died there on 25-Dec-1980. The Chicago Tribune has an entry for him on 28-Dec-1980.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/5218228/person/-1486437000/facts

Still nothing to confirm him as the player, but clicking on his photo on the tree, the caption states "This is my grandpa dressed up for the day. He played for the Chicago Bears in the 1920s."

Think we might have a winner! Need a contemporary reference for him really, but certainly a very strong candidate that matches the "H Greenwood" reference.

?

November 30, 2017 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

LJP at November 30, 2017 at 4:56 AM

Stumbled upon a Harry Greenwood who was residing in Chicago on the available census records. The 1940 census indicates that he attended college for 3 years.

Not much else to go on, or to link him to the Bears and Colonels, but digging around on Ancestry.com I came across a detailed family tree for Harry Greenwood. Born 17-Jan-1901 in Chicago, he died there on 25-Dec-1980. The Chicago Tribune has an entry for him on 28-Dec-1980.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/5218228/person/-1486437000/facts

Still nothing to confirm him as the player, but clicking on his photo on the tree, the caption states "This is my grandpa dressed up for the day. He played for the Chicago Bears in the 1920s."

Think we might have a winner! Need a contemporary reference for him really, but certainly a very strong candidate that matches the "H Greenwood" reference.

?

LJP,

Great work.  If we know that there was a guy listed as H Greenwood from Chicago on the 1926 Louisville roster, and that this same guy was the one who played for the Bears in the 1924 pre-season, and we have someone who says that their grandfather, Harry Greenwood, played for the Bears in the 1920's, I don't think we can get any better proof than that.  Are you planning to get in touch with the person whose family tree contains his name? If so, let me know what you learn.  If you're not intending to contact them,, I'll do it.    This kind of find is really gratifying, because we're giving a guy his rightful place in NFL history, no matter how small it is.  Thanks. Take care.

Steve J

December 1, 2017 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Thanks Steve. If you want to get in touch with them, that's fine with me. They might be able to shed more light on where he attended university. There was a Greenwood at DePaul (see post on previous page) in 1924, but not before or after. Harry Greenwood does show up on a couple of other family trees and one of those states that he died in Rhode Island?

December 6, 2017 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site