Oldest Living Pro Football Players

Pro Football's Online Encyclopedia

Forums

Forum Home > Missing/Unknow Players > Missing/Unknown Players

steve j

I have been trying to get accurate birth and death data on several players for whom no data is listed, or the data listed is incorrect, mainly because it applies to a person with the same name as the player, but who was not the  player.  Below, I have listed some players, along with any information that I have on them.  If anyone has any accurate information on any of these, I would be grateful for any help given.  Thanks.

HENRY (HARRY) EUGENE 'GENE' CARROLL  -  1922 Columbus -  b 10/16/1896 in St Mary's, WV  -  d  02/17/68 in West Chester, PA               Attended Marietta College, and Waynesburg College  -  The birth and death data for the person who played at these colleges is definitely correct.  However, I question whether he was the person who played for Columbus in 1922.  An article in the New Castle (PA) News of 12/14/22  mentions that Gene Carroll of St Mary's, WV, who had been a starter for Waynesburg the entire 1922 season, was elected to be Waynesburg's  captain for the 1923 season.  This would seem to rule him out as the guy who played 4 games for Columbus  in 1922, so who really was the one who played for Columbus? 

BERNARD 'BERNIE' KAPITANSKY  -  1942 Brooklyn  -  attended New Utrecht HS in Brooklyn and Long Island U.  He was sports director for the US Army in Tokyo in 1950.  He was later stationed in Europe, and married a woman from Italy (13 years younger than him), and had 2 sons - Claude and Glenn.  The last reference I can find for him is his arrival in New York with his family, on a ship from Frankfurt in 1956.  Since I can find no further references to him or his family after that, I would think that there may have been a name change.  Theoretically, he could still be alive at 94.

MILTON E REHNQUIST  -  played for several NFL teams between 1924 and 1932.  Attended both high school and college (Bethany) in Lindsborg, KS. He played for the Providence Steamrollers in the late 1920's and married a woman from the area.  After retiring, he settled in RI, and worked as a high school coach with former teammate Jack Cronin.  The last reference I can find is a city directory from 1956, listing him as a guard at the RI State Prison.  A 1959 directory lists Mary Rehnquist as the widow of Milton, which puts his death betweeen 1956 and 1959.  The person who was born in 1892 and died in 1971 (who is listed on most other sites) is definitely NOT the player.

--
February 22, 2015 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Here are 3 more players that I'm researching:

HARRY JAMES COLLINS  -  1924 Buffalo  -  attended Canisius University.  He joined the Buffalo Police Dept. after his FB career, then moved to Detroit, where he joined the Michigan State Police.  He retired in 1957 after 25 years of service.  I contacted the MSP, who tried to help, but had no knowledge of his life after retirment.  The person listed on all FB websites, who was born in England, and died in 1983, is NOT the player.

MARTIN NORTON - 1922-1926 GB, Minn, RI (AFL)  -  born in Minnesota around 1902, attended Minneapolis Central HS, where he was a star athlete, setting a free throw record that stood until the 1970's.  After leaving the NFL, he became a career petty criminal, serving prison time in 4 states, usually for fraud.  He was paroled from prison in Anamosa, Iowa, for saving the life of a guard by attacking a convict who had already murdered one guard.  Unfortunately, he violated his parole shortly after his release.  The last reference that I found was in 1947 when he was again in prison in Iowa.

JACOB 'JAKE' FRIEDMAN  -  1926 Hartford Blues - born in NYC around 1901, family moved to Waterbury, CT. He and his brother Solomon played for independent teams in Waterbury and Hartford, but only Jake stayed with Hartford when the Blues joined the NFL in 1926.  Solomon died in Waterbury in 1958, but I have found nothing on Jake.  The person listed on most FB websites, who was born in Bridgeport, CT, and died in Florida in 1983, is NOT the player.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

February 23, 2015 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

JACKSON I MCARTHUR - He played with several teams between 1926 and 1931.  He was born in Lodi, CA, on 05/30/1903.  He attended St. Mary's College (CA), and after his playing career, became a professional wrestler.  The last reference I found was on the 1940 census, when he was living in Hawaii, and listed his occupation as 'professional athlete'.

JACK GROSSMAN - 1932-35 Brooklyn. He was born 09/25/1909 in Brooklyn, and attended Rutgers University.  He played minor league baseball, and introduced baseball to Chile, which became his permanent residence.  He was inducted into the Rutgers Sports HOF in 1989, at which time he was reported to still be living in Santiago, Chile.  His daughter, Gail Irene Grossman Charney, is still a doctor in Chile.  The person listed on all websites, who was born in Poland in 1910, and died in Florida in 1983, is NOT the player.

HENRY OBST  -  1931 Staten Island, 1933 Phila Eagles - He was born in NYC, attended Syracuse University.  There were 3 individuals born in NY between 1906 and 1909, meaning any one of them is the right age to be the player.  All websites list the player's date of birth to be 12/23/1906, and his date of death as 08/27/1975.  However, the 1940 census only lists an elementary school education for this person. Since the FB player did graduate from Syracuse, I do not think the person who died in 1975 is the right Henry Obst.  There is a Henry Obst who was born in NYC in 1907, and died in Texas in 1978, who seems to be a better candidate, since the  census lists him with 4 years of college.  However, I have no proof yet.

LEHMAN JOHN 'LEO' TOBIN -  1920-21 Akron  -  born in Roscoe, PA, on 11/25/1890, died in Pinellas County, FL in 1952.  I need the exact date.

March 1, 2015 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Re: Jackson McArthur.

There are immigration records in Brazil for a Jackson McArthur in 1948 and 1949. They both indicate he was born 30 May 1902 in Acampo California. He signs both as Ira Jackson McArthur and the 1948 records indicates his occupation as a Wrestler. He appears to have returned to New York later in 1949.

"Brasil, Cartões de Imigração, 1900-1965", index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC66-MXX : accessed 8 March 2015), Ira Jackson Mc Arthur, 1948.

"Brasil, Cartões de Imigração, 1900-1965", index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KNG2-SHT : accessed 8 March 2015), Jackson Mc Arthur, 1949.

"New York, New York Passenger and Crew Lists, 1909, 1925-1957," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/24R6-VPB : accessed 8 March 2015), Jackson Mcarthur, 1949; citing Immigration, New York City, New York, United States, NARA microfilm publication T715 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 2,296,450.

March 8, 2015 at 3:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Additionally, the WrestlingData.com website has an entry for a Jack McArthur competing in Hawaii in the 1940s and later in Canada and the USA, until 1960 - http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=17295&bild=1&details=7

March 8, 2015 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OldestLivingProFootball.com
Site Owner

Thank you for the information LJP!

March 12, 2015 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

BILLY ANDERSON

ChiB 1953-54 / HB / Compton J.C. (1st round pick, 6th overall, in 1953)

One of the early African-American players on the Bears roster, he is recorded on their all-time roster as William Anderson and the NFL and most sources have his date of birth as March 3 1929, in Los Angeles, CA. None of the sources indicate that he is deceased.

His family story is a little more complicated though and he was actually born George Billy Nelson. The California Birth Index (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VL5Z-LNT) has an entry for him, transcribed as March 8 1929. His mother later married radio comedian Eddie "Rochester" Anderson and Billy was adopted and took the Anderson surname.

His step-father died in 1977 and his will mentions Billy Anderson and confirms his full birth name. He was intentionally left nothing.

The California Death Index (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VPCM-LLY) has an entry for a Billy Anderson on May 6 1978 with a date of birth as March 8 1927. The date obviously matches the above birth index entry, although the year is out by two, but this is not necessarily unusual and can depend upon who registered the death. He would appear to have been alive in 1977 and the 1978 record could just be a complete coincidence, as there are plenty of Bill, Billy & William Anderson's of the same age. Need an obituary really.

Apart from some legal issues in the 1950s, there would appear to be a lack of any other contemporary records or reports for Billy Anderson, which may indicate he is deceased, although he may well still be alive and aged 86.

Any ideas?

April 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

LJP at April 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM

BILLY ANDERSON

ChiB 1953-54 / HB / Compton J.C. (1st round pick, 6th overall, in 1953)

One of the early African-American players on the Bears roster, he is recorded on their all-time roster as William Anderson and the NFL and most sources have his date of birth as March 3 1929, in Los Angeles, CA. None of the sources indicate that he is deceased.

His family story is a little more complicated though and he was actually born George Billy Nelson. The California Birth Index (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VL5Z-LNT) has an entry for him, transcribed as March 8 1929. His mother later married radio comedian Eddie "Rochester" Anderson and Billy was adopted and took the Anderson surname.

His step-father died in 1977 and his will mentions Billy Anderson and confirms his full birth name. He was intentionally left nothing.

The California Death Index (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VPCM-LLY) has an entry for a Billy Anderson on May 6 1978 with a date of birth as March 8 1927. The date obviously matches the above birth index entry, although the year is out by two, but this is not necessarily unusual and can depend upon who registered the death. He would appear to have been alive in 1977 and the 1978 record could just be a complete coincidence, as there are plenty of Bill, Billy & William Anderson's of the same age. Need an obituary really.

Apart from some legal issues in the 1950s, there would appear to be a lack of any other contemporary records or reports for Billy Anderson, which may indicate he is deceased, although he may well still be alive and aged 86.

Any ideas?

LJP,

Thanks for your inquiry about Billy Anderson.  I spent a couple hours last night trying to find anything that  might help. I was surprised to find that his mother, Mamie, and Rochester are buried in the same plot.  I did find a site dedicated to movie history, with a section on Rochester, which had a comment from someone which said "That's my uncle Rochester."  I replied to that person, mentioning who I was, and inquiring whether he or she had any information about Billy. I don't know if I used the right format, etc., but if I don't get an immediate answer, I'll point you to the site.  In regard to Billy being alive in 1977, was there any concrete information that there was contact between him and  Rochester's family, at the time leading up to Rochester's death?  If not, he could have been already deceased without any knowledge on their part, and the provision put into the will just iin case he would have surfaced to make a claim. Has anyone tried to contact any of Rochester''s 3 biological children? This is all I can think of right now, but feel free to contact me if you come up with anything. Thanks again..

Steve J

--
April 22, 2015 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

The JET magazine of May 19 1977 (available on Google Books) contains details of Rochester's will, which was drawn up in June 1976 and the wording "...it is my express intent he take nothing" relating to Billy appears to imply he was still alive at that time, as far as they were concerned anyway.

Rochester's three biological children were all considerably younger than Billy and there appear to be recent public record hits for them in California.

There is a 1976 marriage record in the California Marriage Index (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V6KC-RNQ) for a Billy Anderson, aged 49, which may be him, although the lack of any other family details makes it hard to prove.

April 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

I have neglected this section for some time, because I have been trying to put out the data on those players that we have, who have missing or incorrect data on other sites. However, I will start adding players on  whom no one seems to have much.  There  is a listing for 1925 Duluth for a player named TOBIN.  He was originally listed as Ernest V 'Rex' Tobin

I contacted the son of that person, who stated that his father never played any sports.  Now, the person is listed as JIMMY TOBIN, but with little other information.  I recently found a listing for a person named THEODORE JUSTIN TOBEN, who went by his middle name, who played football at Duluth Cathedral HS, and then at Catholic U in Washington, graduating in spring of 1925. 

He was born in Duluth in 1902, and died in Pennsylvania on 06/23/1956.  Does anyone have anything further on this person?  The geographical area is correct, the time frame is correct, and he did play football at the college level.  I would like to get a bit more confirmation.  I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

July 15, 2015 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

Richard Pierce - 1920 ChiTigers, U of Michigan

He is listed with a birth date of 03/01/1896 in Atlanta, GA, and a death date of March, 1966 in Detroit.  If I am reading the census records correctly, the person to whom that data belongs is African-American, which seems to rule him out, since he has never shown up on any list of early black players.  Also, I found a rather extensive list of all Michigan players (not just lettermen) from 1910 to 1920, and find no one named Pierce or anything similar.  The old Treat Encyclopedia lists him as George Pierce,  and also has him playing for the 1919 Canton Bulldogs, but still having attended Michigan.  The White Sox had a pitcher named George Pierce in the teens, who would have been 32 in 1920, but I've never seen anything connecting him to football.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

September 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

ISHAM T HARDY - 1923, 1926 Akr  - Attended William & Mary

I happened to be looking at one of Mike Moran's old programs - a game between Frankford and Akron in 1926.  All the players on both teams were listed, along with their colleges, but without first names.  Most of the players seemed to be affiliiated with the correct colleges, except that Hardy was listed as being from Haskell. 

I tried to find anything more, and came across an article in a 1926 Buffalo paper with the lineups for a game between Akron and Buffalo.  He was again listed as being from Haskell.  This would not have been much of a concern to me, except that in the 1970's, I had written to Isham Hardy, requesting that he fill out a data card for me.  He replied, saying that he had never played pro football.  Akron had 3 other players from Haskell at the time - Casey, McCombs, and Nix. Does anyone have any knowledge of someone named Hardy playing for Haskell in the late teens or early '20's?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

October 24, 2015 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

JERRY KEEFE

Dec 1920 / On 28 November 1920 against the Cardinals at Normal Park, the Decatur Staleys had a Keefe play on the line, as a substitute for RG Jerry Jones. The Chicago Tribune report makes no mention of Keefe, but the more detailed Decatur Review report states that "Jones was forced out of the contest" and in the Staleys substitutions, it clearly lists Keefe for Jones.

The Bears Honor Roll (all-time roster) first appeared in their 1952 Media Guide and a Jerry Keefe is listed from the start as playing G in 1920. Colleges were first listed in the 1954 edition, but there is nothing listed for Jerry Keefe until 1973, when he is first marked as deceased and Notre Dame appears.

The Decatur Review buildup to the Staleys-Cardinals game does mention that several Staleys were in bad shape and that Halas would have "one or two Notre Dame men sitting on the bench to be prepared for any emergency".

The only known Notre Dame players on the Staleys squad in 1920 were Jerry Jones & George Trafton and they both started on the line that day. The next Notre Dame players to play for the Staleys/Bears were Hunk Anderson, Hec Garvey & Ojay Larson, who had all been kicked off the Notre Dame team for playing in the Green Bay-Racine game in 1921.

Notre Dame's all-time roster has no mention of a Jerry Keefe, only Walter Keefe (1904 & 06) and Emmett Keefe (1912-15). Looking through the 1919 & 1920 Notre Dame Football Reviews, there is no Keefe listed on the varsity, freshman or inter-hall teams.

Emmett Keefe was known to Halas & Jones and had played with them on the 1918 Great Lakes Naval Training Station team (he is sat between them in the team photo). However, Emmett Keefe was playing for the Chicago Tigers in 1920 and appears to have started at LG on 28 November 1920 in their game at Cubs Park.

The Tigers game was scheduled to kickoff at 14:30. Other than it was played during the daytime, I have so far been unable to find a kickoff time for the Staleys game, but unless it was a morning game, then it would seem unlikely that the same player participated in both games (Cubs Park & Normal Park were some 15 miles apart), so presumably the Keefe's are different people.

Notre Dame finished their season on 25 November 1920 at Michigan State, so did they Staleys borrow one or two of their linemen for the 28 November game and play them under an assumed name? Assistant football coach at Notre Dame from 1919-22 was Walter Halas,

Complicating things, the Staley's played a post-season exhibition game with the Logan Squares on 16 January 1921. In the buildup to the game it was noted that a number of the regular Staleys were unavailable for this contest and a few "Chicago" players would take their places. Consequently, starting at RG that day for Jones was a Keefe.

Now this could easily be Emmett Keefe, or the "Keefe" from the earlier game.

Additional complications - during the late 1940s and early 1950s, artwork on the covers of some of the Bears home programs is credited to a Jerry Keefe. Also, in 1956, the Bears held a Staleys reunion and one of the players who could not be found was Jerry Keefe.

There are a variety of errors on the Bears all-time roster, many of them uncorrected from when it was first compiled. It's possible that the Bears just mixed up the "Keefe" from 1920 with the Jerry Keefe and the Notre Dame reference may come from Emmett Keefe.

December 4, 2015 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Re: Billy Anderson

A recently added entry on the FindAGrave.com website (link below) has images of a memorial at the Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles, for the Billy Anderson who was born 08 March 1927 [sic] and died 06 May 1978. There is a resemblance between the photo of Billy Anderson and one of the player.

Additionally, on the same memorial is an Eddie A Bruce (1943-1980). This would appear to be Eddie Alonzo Bruce, whose mothers maiden name in the California Birth Index is Wiggins, the same as Billy Anderson's (George Billy Nelson) mother, so presumably he his either a half brother, or related on Billy's maternal side of the family.

So, Billy Anderson of the Bears would appear to be deceased. I think that the year of birth on the memorial is wrong though, as his date of birth appears as 8 March 1929 (not 1927) in transcriptions of  the California Birth Index and he is recorded as 11 on the 1940 US Federal Census, living with his grandmother.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=154885238&ref=acom

December 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

LJP at December 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Re: Billy Anderson

A recently added entry on the FindAGrave.com website (link below) has images of a memorial at the Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles, for the Billy Anderson who was born 08 March 1927 [sic] and died 06 May 1978. There is a resemblance between the photo of Billy Anderson and one of the player.

Additionally, on the same memorial is an Eddie A Bruce (1943-1980). This would appear to be Eddie Alonzo Bruce, whose mothers maiden name in the California Birth Index is Wiggins, the same as Billy Anderson's (George Billy Nelson) mother, so presumably he his either a half brother, or related on Billy's maternal side of the family.

So, Billy Anderson of the Bears would appear to be deceased. I think that the year of birth on the memorial is wrong though, as his date of birth appears as 8 March 1929 (not 1927) in transcriptions of  the California Birth Index and he is recorded as 11 on the 1940 US Federal Census, living with his grandmother.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=154885238&ref=acom

LJP

We really appreciate your input, especially in regard to Billy Anderson.  One thing that surprised me was the resemblance between the picture of Billy Anderson on the gravestone,  and the picture of Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson on IMDB.com. If someone had told me they were blood relatives, I would have totally believed it.  Thanks.

Steve J

January 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Thanks Steve.

Reference image of Billy Anderson from the 1953 Chicago Bears Media Guide - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9scn2m0p34badia/ANDERSON_Billy-1953.jpg?dl=0

It notes that he also "Starred in Service Football as member of the Ft. Knox army eleven".

The Eddie Alonzo Bruce commemorated on the same memorial would appear to be a cousin. Billy's aunt, Mildred C Wiggins, married Herman J Bruce in 1935 and they are the probable parents.

Billy's mother and step-father are both buried in the same cemetery.

January 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

POSSIBLE UNLISTED PLAYER

The Rock Island Argus from 1920 to 1922 has good coverage of early pro football, including box scores of many games, in addition to in-depth stories about the Independents.  In the edition from October 3, 1921, there was a box score of the Akron-Cincinnati game, which Akron won 41 - 0.  This was the first league game of the season for the 2 teams.  The Cincinnati lineup included 2 names which I had never seen anywhere - Orby and Whitnell.  I was particularly interested in Whitnell, because, even allowing for misprints, misspellings, etc., there is no name even close to that listed for Cincinnati on any list.  In the lineup, he was listed as 'lhb', and under the substitutions, there was an entry of 'Thompson for Whitnell'. After some research, I found that there was a running back named Edwin 'Lefty' Whitnell who had played for Centre College starting in 1918.  However, he was still listed for Centre in 1921. Then, I saw an article in several newspapers from October 29th, 1921, mentioning that the Centre team would not have the services of Eddie Whitnell, who had been declared ineligible due to 'scholastic difficulties'. Could his ineligibility possibly be connected to having played a game of professional football? Any information regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve J

January 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

"Bud" or "Jim" EDWARDS

Charles Halleck "Bud" Edwards played for the Providence Steam Roller in 1930 & 1931.

The NFL also credits him with playing 1 game for the Chicago Bears in 1931.

An Edwards does appear as a substitute at LHB in the Bears opening game against the Cleveland Indians, at Loyola Stadium on 18 September 1931.

However, there is no mention of him in the game report and a roster card for the game doesn't offer much, just that #12 Edwards was a LHB from Brown.

The Brown University media guide lists C.H. Edwards (class of 1930) and H.B. Edwards (class of 1929) amongst their football letterwinners.

The two were brothers, with Howard Bromley "Jim" Edwards being the elder, born 22 September 1906 in Pittsburgh PA and died 14 November 1991 in Allen Co. IN.

The Chicago Tribune had a report in its 09 September 1931 issue about the Bears starting practice at Loyola Field.

Amongst the players listed is HB Howard Edwards.

So, which Edwards played for the Bears in 1931?

The Bears All-Time Roster doesn't help as it lists neither of them.

It would make sense to me that Bud would play a game for his hometown team, before heading off to Providence to play his Steam Roller contract.

Providence had an exhibition game on 20 September 1931 and started their regular season schedule against the Giants on 27 September.

There does not appear to be any indication that Jim played pro football. Graduating a year earlier than Bud, why would he then start playing in 1931?

But, then why does the Tribune list the player as Howard Edwards?

July 17, 2016 at 6:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

steve j

LJP at July 17, 2016 at 6:06 AM

"Bud" or "Jim" EDWARDS

Charles Halleck "Bud" Edwards played for the Providence Steam Roller in 1930 & 1931.

The NFL also credits him with playing 1 game for the Chicago Bears in 1931.

An Edwards does appear as a substitute at LHB in the Bears opening game against the Cleveland Indians, at Loyola Stadium on 18 September 1931.

However, there is no mention of him in the game report and a roster card for the game doesn't offer much, just that #12 Edwards was a LHB from Brown.

The Brown University media guide lists C.H. Edwards (class of 1930) and H.B. Edwards (class of 1929) amongst their football letterwinners.

The two were brothers, with Howard Bromley "Jim" Edwards being the elder, born 22 September 1906 in Pittsburgh PA and died 14 November 1991 in Allen Co. IN.

The Chicago Tribune had a report in its 09 September 1931 issue about the Bears starting practice at Loyola Field.

Amongst the players listed is HB Howard Edwards.

So, which Edwards played for the Bears in 1931?

The Bears All-Time Roster doesn't help as it lists neither of them.

It would make sense to me that Bud would play a game for his hometown team, before heading off to Providence to play his Steam Roller contract.

Providence had an exhibition game on 20 September 1931 and started their regular season schedule against the Giants on 27 September.

There does not appear to be any indication that Jim played pro football. Graduating a year earlier than Bud, why would he then start playing in 1931?

But, then why does the Tribune list the player as Howard Edwards?

LJP,

I just want to thank you for your input.  It is always appreciated, even if it is not always acknowledged.  First of all, in regard to the Curtis Gentry story, it just hits home the idea that, if a player is a bit older than the norm, unless he has gone through some unusual situation (like a 4-year military obligation), he is probably not even going to get a look, unless he shaves a few years off.  Whether he was 25 or 29, he was evidently good enough to last a few years in the NFL.

As for Edwards, it's a really interesting case, and I will go back through my notes to see if I find anything definitely connecting Charles to the Bears.  As for Howard not playing pro ball until 1931, after graduating 2 years earlier, there could be various reasons.  There were many independent teams in the area, and he probably wasn't a great player, but maybe good enough to get a short tryout with the Bears, after a year of semi-pro ball.  The fact that Howard Edwards is the name in the Tribune really interests me.  Thanks again.

Steve

July 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LJP

Thanks Steve.

I have found a second reference to Howard Edwards in the Chicago Tribune archives. In the buildup to the Cleveland game, the 17 September 1931 issue lists Howard Edwards, Brown, amongst the new Bears players.

The Tribune's buildup on the day of the game doesn't mention Edwards, but does list the Bears roster at 34 players with "12 must be dropped after the third league game". I haven't found any later newspaper reference for Edwards yet, but he may well be listed on the roster in subsequent programs (at Packers, at Cicero & vs Giants), although these are scarce and I have never seen a roster page from one of them.

Given that there are two reference for Howard "Jim" and none for Charles "Bud", then it would appear most likely that "Jim" was the Edwards who played for the Bears.

July 22, 2016 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.